Sunday, February 1, 2015

Week #26 * January 26, 2015

Hey everyone,

Answers to Questions:

I actually haven’t ever been asked to speak in Church.  The first and last Sunday you have in every area they ask you to introduce yourself and to share your testimony in sacrament meeting. 
Other than that, I haven’t had to.  Missionaries do speak in church sometimes, just not that often.

My address will stay the same the whole time that I am here, as all letters go directly to the mission office.  

I do get some letters from friends just not a ton.  Recently I get about 1 letter from a friend each week which is fun.

My companion, Hermana Makin, is great.  She is from Orem, Utah and the youngest of 6 as well.  She worked as a 2nd grade teacher for a year before her mission.  We got to the mission at the same time, but she went to the provo MTC, as she already could speak some Spanish. She is really great and I absolutely love working with her.


It sounds like you have had a whole lot of funerals in the Ward that is crazy hopefully that will be it for the rest of the year.

This week has been good.  We had some harder days where we were outside all day, but I always find even though it is really frustrating and tiring when people don’t let you in. I always learn more on the days that are harder and more than anything I have learned to look for the purpose that God has for me each day and sometimes it isn’t just teaching a lot of investigators, but helping a member, or even just your companion.  Although we had a couple hard days we had some really great ones as well.  

To start off we are still teaching Javier.  I told you guys about him last week.   He is 16 years old and had been going to church with his friend in a different ward, but these past 2 weeks he has been coming to our ward as he lives in our ward boundaries and we are teaching him and he loves it.  This week we taught him and we asked him if he had read and prayed and he said he did and started sharing all that he learned and the experience he had.  He says that he knows it is true!  He can feel it in his chest and he just knows it.  We invited him to be baptized 14th of February and he said yes!  He said that it is what he really wants to do.  His mom has been coming to the lessons and although she acts more uninterested and says she just doesn’t have time right now she gave him permission to be baptized and is supporting him because she has seen how much he has changed as he has started going to church.  We are so excited for him.  He has been having chest problems though and they are doing tests right now because he has chest pain and can’t work or play sports, so please pray for him as well.  We are a little worried about him.

Next we have Lorena.  I have told you about her before, I think. She is really great.  She has two little girls and is the best friend of our old Bishops wife.  We have been teaching her and she absolutely loves the lessons especially the Plan of Salvation, as it answered a lot of questions.  She still feels like she hasn’t received her answer yet, but she feels good and she says that this is what she wants.  We are just helping her to gain a testimony and recognize the spirit.  The hard thing for her is that her husband hasn’t been able to come to the lessons and he isn’t as interested, and she whats to do everything as a family.  They said they were going to go to church Sunday, but they didn’t show and we haven’t been able to talk to them yet.  I am a little worried about them.  Please pray for them.

Yeyssi (pronounced kinda like JC) She is this cute lady that we are teaching who saves dogs from the streets and helps them find a home (there are dogs everywhere her in the streets they drive me crazy and sometimes scare me, but for the most part I don’t notice them a whole lot anymore).  She loves the lessons and we invited her to be baptized and she said yes, but she still needs a real testimony and we need to set a specific date. She has been sick and hasn’t been able to go to church yet, and it is harder to find a time to teach her.  Please pray for her.

I have also been working with a less active for about my whole time named Angelica.  I love teaching her so much as she has such a strong testimony and experiences to share.  She started living with someone a couple years after her husband passed away and stopped going to church, but we have been able to teach her and she has been going to church for almost the whole time I have been here, but her boyfriend ( I am not sure what to call him as there is a different word in Spanish. A lot of people don’t get married here they just live together and start families). He didn’t want to get married as he was divorced, but she kept praying and we kept working with her and before christmas he told her that they could get married, but he wants to wait until October and she wants to get married sooner or split up because she wants to go to the temple.  Please pray for her and for him that his heart will continue to open up more to the gospel so that she can progress.

Other than that we are just working to find new people to teach and are working to find new people to teach and working a lot with the members and working with a few others to see if they will progress.

Well that is about it for this week but I am really looking forward to this coming week and can’t wait to share my experiences with you next week.  I would love to here how you are all doing as well and I would really love some pictures!

Love ya all,
Hermana Stringham

No comments:

Post a Comment